Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bistro Ten 18

After a long day at school and then working on the campus of Bank Street College of Education, one of my colleagues and dear friends from PS MS 31 in the Bronx with whom I work, surprised me in the technology office after her interview for the new Autism Program at BSC. We chatted for a while and then decided to grab something to eat. The Upper West Side, really? For food? I hopped on Opentable.com and checked out the offerings in the area. Every day, while taking the M4 bus from 110 and Lenox to Broadway I pass by Bistro Ten 18, which I always assumed was the address. Here is what we had.

A great experience. We were greeted at the front door with a smile and a chuckle. After reading my preferences, the server noted that they do not have any booths, but did offer a comfortable table by the window which we accepted. Menus and wine list were presented immediately and water was poured before asking preference-not a critique, just an observation. Rochelle and I looked over the menu and decided we were hungry but not famished. We decided on three items from the charcuterie (aged, dried Lamb, Ham and Chorizo) and the Mac and Cheese to have as our appetizers. Cornichons, pearl onions and olives with a spicy mustard (ala deli) accompanied the meats and delicious, warm bread arrived at the table.

Our main course consisted of a Gorgonzola burger on brioche with two sides: beer battered onion rings and their spiced fries with a spicy aioli and ketchup as dipping sauces. Delicious! For dessert, even though we shouldn't have, we ordered the Bistro Brownie Sundae with Vanilla Gelato, Chocolate Sauce and Rum Soaked Cherries. Yumo! Get there sometime soon. It was the perfect accompaniment to the laughter and conversation we shared over dinner. Energetic space with enough background noise to conceal your conversation and feel comfortable talking to the person next to you. If I tell you, I might have to kill you! Only kidding. Go there.

Bistro Ten 18
1018 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025
Cross Street: 110th Street
212.662.7600

p.s. I left my water bottle for the gym behind and will be going back there before class tonight to retrieve it. Good times.

No comments: